Friday, March 12, 2010

When You’re Married to a Geek

While I picked out pretty much everything for the nursery (to my utter delight, Bill basically said, ”Order everything we need”), I left the baby monitor up to Bill since he is the tech savvy one in the household. I figured that he would get something simple and, my biggest concern, something that would not have interference issues since we live in such close proximity to other families. But then I was reminded that I am married to a geek.

Bill didn’t get just any run-of-the-mill baby monitor. That simply would not do. Our baby monitor, called the Ycam*, is Wi-Fi enabled with multi-client access and password protection. It has a camera that offers high-quality video and sound. That’s right. It records live video. But how, you may ask, can it record video at night? Why through its infrared night vision that automatically turns on in low light conditions. But that’s not all. Our humble baby monitor also has motion detection and will alert us via email and uploaded images of the detected motion. It also offers live stream through our iPhones. Which brings me to Bill’s favorite feature: he can watch live video of our little tyke from work or pretty much anywhere so long as he has his phone or laptop with him. He even suggested that if I want to nap while the baby naps, he’ll keep an eye on him from work through the live video.

Now how cool is that?

* http://www.newbornbabyzone.com/baby-products/top-10-must-have-baby-monitors/

1 comment: