Sunday, April 4, 2010

Little Boy, You are so Loved

Did I ever tell you about my amazing little boy? Not even born yet, he has already charmed his mommy and daddy with his funny little personality. And he is already a daddy’s boy!

A few months ago, I noticed that the little guy started responding to sound, especially to the sound of Bill’s voice. Whenever Bill speaks, Holden starts kicking and jumping around with a little more enthusiasm than usual. This was somewhat confirmed when one weekend Bill went away to a conference. Holden did his normal “playing” but when Bill came back home and he heard his voice again, I felt and saw kicks of excitement, like, “Hey! Where have you been? I’ve missed you!”

When I first told Bill about my observations, I think he thought I was a little delusional. But one day, in an effort to convince him that I was not crazy, I told him to talk to my belly and watch what happens. Bill put his hand on my stomach and said, “Hi, little guy. How are you?”

*POW!* Bill got a huge kick to the hand! At first, it took Bill off guard and he backed up a little and said, “Whoa!” But then immediately, we both started laughing. Neither of us expected that big of a reaction. What a funny little boy we have.

After that, it wasn’t long before Bill bought a book with bedtime stories and started reading to the little guy. And Holden loved it! As Bill read, Holden would jump and dance and spin. I kept saying, “Look! See him!” And Bill kept saying, “I can’t read and look at the same time!” Haha.

Recently, I have noticed that Holden has been responding to touch, which has blown my mind. A couple of weeks ago, he flipped so that he is now upside down. A funny side effect of this is that he now sticks his cute little butt up towards my chest. And he sticks it so far out that I can practically cup it in my hand. The first time that he did it, I put my hand on him and I think it may have spooked him because he quickly moved away. Out of instinct, the next few times he did it, I again put my hand on him, and again he quickly moved away. But then one time he actually moved back. I thought, “Is this really happening?” I started rubbing his little bum and back, and he stayed still. After a bit, I took my hand off my belly, but he pushed against where my hand was—hard. I put my hand back and started rubbing again and he relaxed and stayed still. I couldn’t believe it. Was he trying to say “More, please”? Whatever the reason, this has become a little routine of ours. He pushes against me and I give him a little back rub. And more often than not, if I stop, he pushes out even harder.

One day, he pushed out really hard against my ribs. It was uncomfortable, so I tried to coax him to move, but I didn’t want to push him. Rubbing him only seems to make him stay in place, so this time I tickled him a little. He immediately started wriggling around. It was so darn cute!

So now we have a daily routine of back rubs and when he jams himself under my ribs or in my hip, I just tickle him a little until he wriggles his way out. And everyday, Bill talks to him and also gives him a little back rub. It is so sweet watching how Holden reacts to his daddy. It makes us yearn for him to be here even more so that we can hold him and kiss him. Not even born yet, he is such a loved little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment