Thursday, April 15, 2010

Eviction Notice

Today I am 40 weeks and 4 days pregnant! I went for antepartum testing at the hospital just to make sure that the little guy is doing well and that my amniotic levels are okay. For the first test, I was hooked up to a fetal monitor for 20 minutes while they evaluated his heart rate. At first, Bill and I were completely freaked out. Holden’s heart rate went as high as 173bpm to as low as 108bpm. We were like, “What is going on?!” But then the nurse explained to us that that was actually a really good sign. As we learned, babies, up until they are a few weeks old, have heart rates that vary dramatically depending on their activity. So, when Holden moved, his heart would race, and when he rested, it would drop. As always, he was super active and interactive. He would respond to everything from the monitors being on my stomach to the sound of Bill’s voice. He was so active that they kept me on the monitor for longer than 20 minutes because they had a difficult time calculating a baseline heart rate. But again, the nurses said that they are never concerned that there is too much activity, so even though he is a super active boy, it is a really good sign for his well being. And we were happy to hear that for this portion of the testing, he scored an 8 out of 8.

The next test was for my amniotic levels, which are completely normal and fine. There was no concern at all.

After the antepartum testing, I saw my OB. She said that while everything looks great, she doesn’t like to have patients go passed 41 weeks. So, unless Holden comes before Monday morning, my plans for a completely natural, drug-free delivery will not have a chance to materialize and I will have to be induced with Pitocin. Though, my doctor, probably sensing my disappointment, said that I actually have *ear muffs for the sensitive* a very favorable cervix and am already almost 3cm dilated, so I will probably just need a little push from the Pitocin, but will then be able to achieve the remainder of my delivery goals. And because of the condition that I am in now, I may not even make it to Monday morning, in which case I wouldn’t even need drug intervention to be induced.

While the possibility of having to be induced is disappointing, I have had such an amazing pregnancy that I can’t really complain. And more importantly, I am so happy and reassured that my little boy is doing so well. Plus, as Bill pointed out, we now know that by this Tuesday we will definitely, and finally, be holding him in our arms. Four days to go and Bill and I will officially be known as Daddy and Mommy!

1 comment:

  1. "...a very favorable cervix."

    There's a phrase nobody would expect to hear/read. :-) You're writing so well and so often lately...seems the "pregnancy brain" you described before has gone.

    Best wishes on the next few days for you, Bill and Holden. I look forward to meeting the little guy when you are all ready.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete