Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bill may be having a little too much fun

My first OB/GYN appointment was pretty nerve racking. Even though I have only read about a thousand books on the subject of pregnancy, I still had no idea what to expect. As we walked into the doctor’s office, I was quiet and reserved, while Bill was happily bouncing around, grabbing pamphlets and reading posters.
I must have been visibly nervous because the nurse at the desk said softly, “Don’t worry. We don’t bite here.” To give you an idea of just how nervous I was, I said very seriously, “Thank you. I’m glad to hear that,” and remained in my reserved position. Bill, mean while, was next to me busily scribbling his information down for a mailing list and then cheerfully asked where he was to submit the card.
We must have been quite the sight because the nurse kept glancing quickly back and forth at us. She then said to us in the same soothing tone, “Is this your first?” Just as I mustered out a quiet “yes,” Bill said loudly, “That I know of.”
That was enough to break me out of my shell. The whole office, including me, broke into roaring laughter. It reminded me of how lucky I am too have him by my side, to always make me laugh, even when I don’t think I want to.
Flash forward a week and we are browsing in a baby store. There are other soon to be parents who, like us, are trying to make sense of the rows of cribs and bumpers and boppies. Bill sees a comfy rocking chair and plops into it. “Ooo, I like this!” he says. He then cradles his arm and begins to fake sob. Through his “sobbing” he starts to say desperately, “Please… please just shut-up. Why won’t you sleep? Wh-h-h-h-y? Why won’t you just sleep?”
The people around us didn’t think it was too funny, maybe because it was scarily too close to the truth. But once again, Bill had me roaring, happy to know that when we are sleep deprived and covered in goo, there will still be laughter, even if it just from the memory of a time when it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment